Sunday 15 September 2013

RAVPOWER WIFI Disk





I have been looking at ways to extend the memory on my 16GB Ipad. Cloud storage is all well and good if you can see the cloud, on a lot of occasions I cannot.

Searching the internet I came across a RAYPOWER Wifidisk. Title is a bit misleading as it doesnt actually have any storage space onboard.  It is about the size of a 2.5" external hard drive case. which is good considering it has an onboard 3AH battery that can be used to power the device and if needed the IPAD.

It can be used as a private WIFI network but can be used, at the same time as a WIFI Hotspot to connect via your wifi router to the internet. It has a socket for an SD/SDHC memory card that fits flush to the case (unlike the RPI) and a USB 2.0 socket into which a USB memory stick or USB hard drive can be plugged in. A microusb socket is provided for external power

Searching EBAY I found one for $44 shipped. I also ordered a 64GB SD card on ebay from
sirdouglash. The WIFISD Unit arrived and powered up fine but when the SD card arrived it proclaimed it was a 1MB card despite my best efforts to persuade it otherwise. The seller refunded the cost of the card but wasted a week of my time.

Today I went to microcenter as they had Sony 32GB SD cards for $24 so i bought a pair and installed one in the WIFIdisk

There is a windows utility that can be used to set up the unit called Mobilefun. I installed it and connected the unit via the USB cable to the computer and set up name password and how to connect to the Internet via my WIFI Router, I also installed some MPG4 and .wav files to test streaming

I installed the free Airstor app on the Ipad and directed the IPAD to connect to the WIFISD device shown in my available wifi signals. Doing this allowed me to play audio and video files and I could still connect to the Internet

Next it was the turn of my Nexus 7 Android device. The Free "Airstor for Pad" app was found in the Google store and installed. I again connected to the WIFISD device shown in my available wifi signals. Doing this allowed me to play audio and video files and I could still connect to the Internet.

As  a final experiment I plugged in my 500GB hard drive into the WIFISD and managed to stream video to the ipad. Not being an SSD not sure how long the battery would last though.

No comments:

Post a Comment