Thursday 12 December 2013

Nexus 7 2013 Upgrade




I have had a Nexus 7 (2012) for around a year and use it much more than my IPAD. When I saw that there was to be an updated version with front and rear cameras and an audio jack that supports headphone and microphone (like the IPAD does) I thought of getting one. The list price was $229 for the 16GB WIFI version was offputting, so I decided to wait until the "Black Friday" (the day after thanksgiving) Sales period. In actuality I did not have to wait that long as I encountered a good deal the previous Wednesday.and ended up buying one for $189.99 shipped.

It took 2 weeks to be delivered due to the post sales bottleneck!  When I opened the package, the first thing to be noticed was that it was thinner and lighter than the previous version. When powered up the display was also crisper being 1920 x 1200 resolution compared to the previous1280 x 800. 

As advertised the 4 pole audio jack worked with my Ipad headphones on Skype. No more shouting at the tablet. This is promising improvement when using FLdigi app where previously you had to hold the tablet near the radio speaker which was prone to background noise.

There is no HDMI output on the Nexus 7 2012. However reading the online reviews of the 2013 model it has a slimport jack on the bottom (looks like a microusb connector to me) and an HDMI adaptor can be bought. Searching on ebay I found one for $18. I did make sure i got one where you can charge the Tablet with a monitor hooked up. This works well and allows videos to be played on the living room large LCD TV.




The only wish list item I would like is a microsd slot to extend the storage, however I can use it with the RAVPOWER WIFI disk as previously mentioned which ups the storage to 500MB. 


No comments:

Post a Comment