Monday, October 22, 2012

WSPR on UBUNTU

UPDATE: 1/12/2013: 
to make this work now select revision 2840

svn co http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/wsjt/branches/wspr -r2840





I have used WSPR and WSJT digimodes for many years now but always on windows machines so I thought I ought to try using it on my Dell D630 Ubuntu Laptop

 Initially I tried installing the deb packages for WSJT on the K1JT web site http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wspr.html but both packages had issues

WSPR 2.11

when installing wspr_2.11r2263_i386.deb using the method in WSPR_2.0_User.pdf it installs OK but when I try to execute it I get:-

******************************************************************
WSPR Version 2.11_r2254, by K1JT
Run date:   Tue Oct  9 15:50:42 2012 UTC
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "wspr.py", line 53, in <module>
    w.acom1.appdir=(appdir+(' '*80))[:80]
ValueError: could not convert string to float: /home/dave/Downloads/WSPR

so I moved on to the other available version, wspr_2.00r1714_i386.deb when installing I get the following:-

dpkg: error processing wspr_2.00r1714_i386.deb (--install):
 unable to open file '/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci//.svn': Is a directory Errors were encountered while processing:
 wspr_2.00r1714_i386.deb

Searching the Internet I found many others who had discovered the same issues but no solutions. Then I discovered http://www.george-smart.co.uk/wiki/Compiling_WSPR which shows how to compile wspr from the svn location. Following the instructions It installed WSPR3.0.1 (which is the latest "experimental" release of WSPR no signs of "released version" on the SVN.). I had no issues so I tried it on 40m receive after setting the input and output audio to "default" (11), see above

Next I tried the transmit side. When it was time to transmit I got "Can't open /dev/ttyS0".  I checked the port:- 

dave@Ubuntu-D630a:~/trunk$ dmesg | grep tty
[    0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
[    0.555491] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[    0.988910] 00:09: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A 

so the port was there. Another web search revealed that there can be issues with who owns that serial port. It was found to be root. and adding me to the uucp group should fix it, which it did. Leaving it running driving the K3 at 5W I found the following spots on WSPRnet:-

2012-10-22 22:26  G4FRE  7.040096  -11  0  IO82uc  5  G4ENZ  IO81vv  24  166  
2012-10-22 22:14  G4FRE  7.040104  -1  0  IO82uc  5  S59I  JN76me  1417  111  
2012-10-22 22:14  G4FRE  7.040096  -11  0  IO82uc  5  LA9JO  JP99gb  2177  22  
2012-10-22 22:14  G4FRE  7.040011  -7  0  IO82uc  5  LA1NRA  JP53ej  1457  26  
2012-10-22 22:14  G4FRE  7.040082  -6  0  IO82uc  5  OK2IP  JN89ee  1351  96 

Success!






No comments:

Post a Comment